SEO is growing towards the $100 billion mark in valuation. Marketers who want a piece of the action of this multibillion-dollar industry should be up-to-date on the most recent trends. Start with this list of 15 fascinating SEO statistics that every marketer should know.
1. How many search queries does Google process on average?
Google now processes over 40,000 search queries every second on average, translating to over 3.5 billion searches daily and 1.2 trillion searches annually worldwide. (Source: Internet Live Stats 2016)
2. What percent of marketers consider SEO as their top priority?
3. What percent of retailers agree that search marketing is effective in customer acquisition?
85% of retailers surveyed claimed search marketing (paid and SEO) was the most effective customer acquisition tactic. (Source: Search Engine Watch https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/study/2357163/85-of-retailers-say-paid-search-is-most-effective-acquisition-channel)
4. What is the best way to drive traffic to content websites?
5. How much more effective is search compared to social media in converting customers?
Conversion rates are 10 times higher on search than from social on desktops on average. (Source: GoDaddy 2016)
6. Should online marketers include long-tail keywords as part of their strategy?
Yes, they should because half of the search queries are four words or longer. Not including long-tail keywords could mean losing potential leads.
7. What percent of users rely on mobile devices to search?
50% of users begin their search with a mobile device and this percentage is expected to increase.
8. How many hours does a user spend on mobile devices per day?
The average user spends up to three hours a day on a mobile device. (Source: Smart Insights)
9. What percent of mobile searches are looking for local information?
56% of mobile searches are from users seeking local information such as business hours, directions, and a physical address.
(Source: SMA Marketing https://blog.smamarketing.net/local-inbound-marketing)
10. What is the conversion rate of local searches?
18% of local searches done on mobile devices lead to a sale within a day. (Source: Junto)
11. What is the clickthrough rate for the top entry on Google search results?
The first position on Google’s organic search results on desktop has a 34.36% clickthrough rate. (Source: Hubspot 2017)
12. What factor influences Google search rankings the most?
Back Link analyzed 1 million Google search results and discovered that links impact rankings more than any other factor. This was reinforced by Google’s statement that backlinks are among their top three ranking signals. The other two are content and RankBrain, Google’s machine-learning system. (Source: Back Link 2017)
13. What is the usual budget allocated to link acquisition per month?
Moz conducted a study with 435 participants and results revealed:
- 5% $20,000+
- 8% Over $10,000 but less than $20,000
- 9% $5,000 – $10,000
- 21% $2,500 – $5,000
- 22% $1,000 – $2,500
- 35% under $1,000
Source: (Moz 2016)
14. Do videos help websites rank on the first page of Google search results?
Yes, they do. A study revealed that pages with a video are 53 times more likely to rank on the first page of Google search results. (Source: Shareaholic)
15. What is the expected value of the SEO industry?
SEO is a major industry with an estimated value of almost $70 billion dollars.
These SEO statistics should help keep marketers on top of their game this 2017. What do you think about these stats? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.